Sunday, July 5, 2009

Walk The Plank Tactics

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July in the States and to our Canadian friends a great Canada Day on July 1.

It's great to be with family and friend on holidays. I spent part of the week-end at my mother's taping a landing / stair well. One of my favorite things. While I have done many landings and stairwells it is not one of my favorite experiences. Setting up the drop cloth to cover the stairs is the easy part. It's setting up a ladder or two with a plank and then walking out on that plank to reach to top and outer edges to mud the edges and embed the tape. Height is not something I look forward to either. I did everything right and minimized my risks to get the job done right.

That's how it is in business. We tackle risk and attempt to manage that risk with the tools we each have or can get. Then we move ahead with the job at hand. Hopefully we are successful in what we do. Some times we don't , so we pick up the pieces and try again. Even with taping and drywall, I have on some occasions have to start over or re-work some of my earlier attempts.

Walking the plank...so to speak is not the end of the world as with was in the days of the pirates. We as business owners/managers can regroup and give it another try. That's where success comes from...overcoming challenges, learning new skills and snapping victory from the jaws of defeat.

No comments: